Monday, June 27, 2005

They say it's your Birthday

It's Monday, the last day of my weekend (hairdresser's weekend). Today is my birthday...it feels like such a non-event this year. I haven't mentioned it to anyone, so it will really go unnoticed, except to my family. I don't like the year I'm turning, so maybe if I ignore it... I went for a walk this morning and got rained on. It actually felt very good.

I'll be at the hospital with my Mother today, visiting my
father. Whoopee. My father gets out tomorrow. He's been in a hospital since May 5--that's almost 8 weeks. He tripped on a rug in the kitchen in the beginning of April and hit his head pretty hard on the refrigerater. If he'd felt bad, he probably would have gone to the doctor's, but as it turned out, he didn't even have a headache. Almost 4 weeks later, his left leg felt weak, and by the time he saw his doctor the next day, he couldn't walk. The day after that he had full brain surgery for a subdural hematoma--a bleed between the skull and brain. We thought, OK, you have the surgery and relieve the pressure and then you're fine. Well, not. He was totally bedridden for about 5 weeks. He was in Georgetown University Hospital for about 5 weeks and NRH rehab hospital for the remainder of the time. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, his leg 'woke up.' He's now able to get around with a walker and will start outpatient therapy 2 days after he comes home. What an ordeal it's been for him, and for us kids. He's expected us to be at the hospital visiting him as often as possible. It's been hard. I hope to not set foot in a hospital for a very long time! I spent the day today getting the bedroom at his home ready--moving furniture, etc... My Mom is spending the night here and we'll go to the hospital for the last time today. I can't believe that this is what my life is like now. Spending so much time with my Mother because of her stroke, and now with my Father because of this. I love them both very much, but really want my life back. Thank God I have my daughter, my home, my job that is just perfect for me, and an optimistic outlook on life.

Did I mention that my daughter is in Georgia? She's visiting my sister for about 11 days. I'll be driving out there to meet them in a week. My sister has a great family, and I'd love it if some of their values rubbed off on her. So far, it seems like they've done a lot of driving, taking the boys to their camps, etc... Soccer camp starts tomorrow for my daughter and her one cousin. That will be a first for both of them. I can hear the complaints now... too hot, too much running, boring, etc..Their reward for going to the camp is lunch out every other day and going swimming in a friend's pool every day. Not bad. I'd like to be in camp. Preferably in the finger lakes of upstate NY for the whole summer. With my daughter. That would be the best! I'm dreaming now. Well, time to get on with the day. My Birthday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy b-day

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home